Sunday, October 24, 2010

News and Notes

Thank you all for supporting the Scholastic Book Fair. I love the new classroom books, and it is such a joy bringing the children to the fair and watching their faces light up at all of the great literature. I must say, your children are quite discerning customers! They certainly know books and what reading is all about. I thank you again for sending your child to school so well prepared to learn. Please remember your child's "Family History Bag." Let me know if you would like me to email a copy of the directions for this project:) I would love to have them in the first week of November so that children can begin presenting. Our Family Unit will begin in mid-November!

Also, I sent home everything in your child's locker on Friday. I like to disinfect the lockers every once in a while, especially since cold season has begun! I didn't check your  child's change of clothes, so they might still be in condition and weather-appropriate; however, sending them home gives you the option to exchange them for warmer (or bigger) clothing. Some children choose not to use quiet time items, but many still do. Feel free to send in a small blanket or towel with your child.

I hope you all enjoyed looking over your child's school photos!

A few things to consider:

1. I have edited both the "instruction" and "Thursday" website pages. I will be moving the Telian PowerPoint to the curriculum page. The instruction page is intended to expand upon the curriculum and its implementation in the classroom. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you are unable to access the new pages.

2. I apologize for causing any confusion over the Thursday afternoon sessions. Kindly read the website page "Thursdays," and I believe it will clarify both the purpose and process behind the Thursday afternoon small instructional groups. We are so fortunate that the superintendent provided this special time for individualized instruction for our kindergarten students. Thursday afternoons are utilized in the same way across the district, and our data shows that full day kindergarten and Thursday instructional groups are having a positive impact on student achievement.

3. The ball chairs have arrived! Kindly see the "instruction" page on the website for further information. I will keep you posted on our progress!

Straight posture takes training! We will begin using the balls Monday:)

4. I will no longer be using the website as a tool to communicate current curriculum, news or information. The site is current and informative; however, I believe that it is easier for everyone to use one tool for direct communication, the blog. In other words, I won't be asking you on the blog to go the website. Consider the website a cache of important information which you can repeatedly access. The blog is the easiest, most efficient way to communicate information to you directly. Please do feel free to comment. I would love to hear from you, and it is a great vehicle for you to communicate ideas with each other! Unfortunately, Google Blogger does not allow for more than 10 direct email notifications, so I suggest you use the feed tool and social networking options for alerts!

START BLOGGING!

5. We have learned 4 new Lively Letters: o, a, m, n. We have begun "starting corner capitals" in handwriting, and after a successful Five Senses mini-unit, we will be returning to our Properties Unit, "properties of solids, liquids and gases." In Math we continue to work on Counting and Comparing; however, we will, of course, deviate slightly so our little pumpkins can explore and weigh some pumpkins. It is the week before Halloween after all!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments: